Medical Office Assistant Career Major - Overview
Career Major Length
Fundamentals of Technology
Fundamentals of Administrative Technologies
Foundations of Medical Office/Medical Terminology
Medical Office Assistant Capstone
Helpful Attributes and Abilities
- Reading, language and math skills at the 8th grade level or above
- Positive attitude and dependability
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong ethical standards
- IMMUNIZATIONS: ■ Rubeola, Mumps, Rubella One of the following: a) Positive rubella, rubeola, and mumps titer b) One (1) MMR AND positive (+) titer for rubeola & mumps c) Two (2) MMR Vaccines T.B. Screening Tuberculin (PPD) Test
- One of the following: a)Two (2) negative TB skin tests, given within the last 12-month period prior to beginning clinicals. Student must stay current during their entire clinical stay. OR
- B) If positive TB, student must present: Documented proof of positive TB ; A negative chest x-ray ; Public health release ; Current symptom survey
- Hepatitis B - One of the following: a) Three (3) hepatitis vaccinations b) Positive hepatitis B surface antibody c) Hepatitis B waiver signed by student
- Varicella - One of the following: a) Two (2) varicella vaccinations b) Positive varicella titer
- CPR : BLS for Healthcare Provider (American Heart Association)
- BACKGROUND CHECK: A background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) or a different approved entity is required. The instructor will notify students of specific background check for participation in a clinical experience.
- (Must include a sex and violent offender check)
- Each clinical facility may accept or deny any student based on information obtained from a background check. If clinical placement is denied, the student will be administratively withdrawn from the course or Career Major.
- Clinical pre-requisites are subject to change and will be reviewed in detail during orientation session.
ODCTE Administrative Medical Assistant